Sunday, November 2, 2008

Disappointing craft show


Being able to write my blog every day is an unreached aspiration of mine, but it seems that even once a week is even a stretch. Partly, I wonder where to begin. There are SO many topics I could address. Then, I was wondering if I should pick a weekly or monthly theme to write about. Then I was wondering if I should spend time researching a topic and really write something intelligent instead of just off the cuff. Then I was waiting for the ‘Eureka!’ when something really witty to enter my head. After all this, I still have nothing, so I vowed just to write and see what happens.
I am sitting at my first craft show today, which has been a total flop so far. There has been very little traffic coming through and some interest, no buyers. I don’t feel too bad though because I’ve talked to the other vendors and it seems most others are experiencing the same thing. I think it may be the venue. It’s a small show (25 vendors) at my friend’s church.
My favorite hobby is woodworking and I make holiday houses. I’ve made these in the past for Christmas gifts and thought I would try making them for a craft show. God bless my mother for watching my son for 3 weekends over the past couple of months while I made these.


Unfortunately I only sold 3 of the small houses and NONE of the big ones. It was a disappointing day. All the time and effort I spent...time I could have spent with my son. Well, I'm not giving up just yet. There are other shows I'm going to look into. I heard the school ones were some of the best. We also have a pretty big one at work, but I'm not sure about that one just yet (It's $40/table!)
Not too long after I had my son, I wasn’t sure if I’d ever be able to do anything for myself ever again, like hobbies, working out, shopping, taking long hot baths, etc. I felt so tied to my baby for those first months…especially when breastfeeding. I knew my life as I knew it was over, and that was OK with me…I thought. I didn’t realize how much I missed doing stuff like this. Slowly, I’ve started to try to do more for myself…it’s harder than it sounds! Mommies...don’t forget about yourselves :)

No comments: